The Joyful Ark Children’s Ministry
“Let the children come to me and do not prevent them; for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” – Mathew 19:14
About Our Logo
The cross in the centre of the ark represents Christ. With Christ in the vessel, we can smile at the storm. And the children in the Ark are all the young children in our parish we hope to reach out to and echo God’s love for them. Lastly, the banner represents God’s love for us – “His Banner over me is Love”.
The Children’s Ministry began in 2006 when we saw a need for catechising the young children in our parish. Over the last 13 years, the ministry has evolved from facilitating monthly children’s faith formation sessions & ad hoc events to now, we offer 2 faith formation programs for pre-schoolers every Saturday – Catechesis of the Good Shepherd (CGS) & Precious Seeds. Through these 2 programs, we hope to enable the children to experience God’s love for them, partnering with parents to nurture and grow in their faith during a 3-year journey. We now have about 14 catechists and hope to expand the team.
A joyful child, living in the knowledge of God’s love and presence in their lives and responding with excitement and a desire to follow in the ways of Jesus “Let the children come to me and do not prevent them; for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” (Mathew 19:14)
To bring children to know God, to love & worship him, in a place where they can experience a sense of belonging to God’s family, to grow in their relationship with Jesus, and eventually learn to share Christ with the world “Train a child in a way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.” (Proverbs 22:6)
The Children’s Ministry focuses on facilitating God-encounters for children aged 3 – 6 years old, through the following 2 programs:
- The Catechesis of the Good Shepherd (CGS) The Catechesis of the Good Shepherd is a Catholic faith formation process for children aged 3 to 12 years, in which they experience and form an authentic, faithful relationship with God. The Catechesis is grounded in scriptural and liturgical study, framed by Maria Montessori’s principles of education. This allows children to hear the Gospel through the use of sensorial rich materials. The children are free to work with these materials that represent essential proclamations of the Catholic faith. For more information about CGS, please visit www.cgsas.org. CGS at St. Anthony’s is currently held for children aged 3-6 years old (L1). The three-year journey begins at 3+ years of age and sessions are for 2 hours on Saturdays (10.15am / 12.45pm / 3.15pm). Places are limited so early enrolment is essential. Each session can take a maximum of 12 children. Registrations begin in October. We are currently building L2 works for children 7-9 years old and hope to offer L2 in 2021 so there is a progression in the CGS catechesis from L1 to L2.
- Precious Seeds Program Precious Seeds is a faith formation program preparing children aged 6 years of age with the necessary basic foundation that will help to develop their faith as they enter the mainstream. The sessions will explore key topics of our Catholic faith, beliefs, traditions and practices. Amongst them God’s Love, About Jesus, Common Prayer, Gestures and Giving Reverence. Children’s sessions include scripture, story-telling, song, acting and art & craft work.
- Miscellaneous Children’s Activities at Parish Events The Children’s Ministry also participates at parish level events such as Sunday canteen, St. Anthony’s Feast Day food and funfair by organising activities such as face painting, wall-art painting and other arts and crafts activities which help children express their faith and love for God. We work very closely with Mainstream Catechism, Family Life & Youth ministries on shared parish level events that relate to children & families (Eg. Children’s Day Celebration, Family Day, Street Challenge)
There are currently no calendars to share.
Please contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Currently we do not have a Chairperson but a constant representative of the ministry attends Keystones meetings every month to update and we have a treasurer for Children’s Ministry.
Under CGS (Catechesis of the Good Shepherd) & PS (Precious Seeds), we have :
- Co-ordinator for CGS (Main & Assistant and Total – 8 trained catechists)
- Co-ordinator for Precious Seeds (1 co-ord and Total – 6 catechists)
Our ministry meetings are on every 3rd Thursday of the month @ 8.00pm – 9.30pm.
The meeting agenda includes:
- 20mins Prayer or Adoration – members are invited to lead in different prayer formats
- 15Mins “Check-in” (Personal sharing)
- Meeting Proper (Parish Events update, then Ministry update from CGS & PS)
- Closing Prayer
We plan quarterly fellowships either at member’s homes, external venues or church vicinity to build our bonds. Fellowship can also extend to families.
a) A member must have a TRUE LOVE FOR KIDS The children are just as important as adults and should be treated with the same priority, dignity and respect. Their needs, desires, disappointments and plans are as intensely felt as ours.
Love is a natural attribute when one is walking with the Lord (1 Cor 13 & Matt 18:10-14)
b) A member must have a CONSISTENT WALK WITH THE LORD (James 1:2-8 & Ephesians 4:14-16)
You must have a prayer life because only Jesus our Lord God can give us the strength to overcome challenges in life, and the peace that the world cannot give. We need to model God’s truths and character, and remain faithful to Him always. Be active in the Sacramental life, participating in the daily, or at least, the weekly Sunday Eucharist.
“Then we will no longer be infants, tossed by the waves and swept along by every wind of teaching…” (Ephesians 4:14)
c) A member must be FAITHFUL and RESPONSIBLE Be faithful to the teachings of the magisterium of the Catholic Church and committed to foster the teachings of the Gospels and Kingdom values of Peace, Justice and Love.
“See that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that their angels in heaven always look upon the face of my heavenly Father.” (Matthew 18:10)
d) Stay HUMBLE & TEACHABLE! Never allow yourself to become lulled into a false sense of self-confidence. Remember this, it is not you who is teaching, it is the Holy Spirit. Your talents, ideas and very words are from the Lord. If they aren’t, you probably won’t be teaching long!
TRAINING: For CGS : Parents are rostered to assist the trained catechists in the Atrium for a period of time and then invited to take the formal training to be a CGS Catechist, run by the CGS Singapore Association at different parish atriums, either 1 full week or 2 weekends (full days) & costs $350 each part. There are 2 parts under each Level (eg. L1P1 & L1P2). The 3 levels cater to 3 different age groups.
- L1 (3-6 yr olds)
- L2 (7-9 yr olds)
- L3 (10-12 yr olds)
In addition, all CGS catechists are also encouraged to take the Foundational & Basic Catechesis Courses (BCC), run by the Office for Catechesis (OFC). The BCC consists of:
- Introduction to Catechetical Pedagogy & Catechetical Methods
- The Five Strategies of the Virtues Project
- Learning to Listen & Facilitate
- Introduction to Morality
Remember, we are to always give glory to the Lord. And that should be our motive in teaching, not to show how good, smart or talented we are; not to just fill a vacant teaching spot, but to bring glory to the Name of the Lord!
Support Services & Request For Support
Children’s Ministry works very closely with mainstream Catechism, Family Life & Youth ministries on shared parish level events that relate to children & families (Eg. Children’s Day Celebration, Family Day, Street Challenge).
Resources & Forms
There are currently no forms online.